The 2019 CHaD HERO raised over $830,000 for Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (CHaD) kids and families. What a HEROIC day! 3,100 participants joined us to run, walk, hike, and bike to raise money for vital services and programs at CHaD.
- This year, 400 HEROES saw their fundraising boosted by a very generous matching gift from The Jack and Dorothy Byrne Foundation. Adult HERO participants (24+) received a 1:1 match for dollars raised above their fundraising minimums and youth HERO participants (23 and under) received a 2:1 match for dollars raised above their fundraising minimums. These 400 HEROES generated over $300,000 once their match was added to their total.
- More than 300 volunteers helped make this year’s CHaD HERO a successful and safe event. Plus, they raised $68,000 for CHaD!
- Our participants ran, walked, hike, and biked 14,000 miles combined.
- We had more than 100 corporate and gift-in-kind partners who went above and beyond for this year’s CHaD HERO.
Our official 2019 Kid HERO, Finn, is a brave, curious and very active 3-year-old who loves school, his sisters and trucks of all kinds. Finn had the honor of kicking off the 5K walk and hike and sending off participants with his famous high fives!
Finn is a regular patient at CHaD due to complications related to Down syndrome, including a congenital heart defect. He will see a pediatric cardiologist for his entire life. While these hospital visits can be challenging, his parents have been grateful for this connection to CHaD and were inspired to create Team Finn 321 in 2018. This year, they raised more than $10,000 and had more than 50 members who came out to run, walk, hike, and bike with Finn. We can’t wait to see what 2020 brings! Read the full blog post about Finn HERE.
“The nurses, doctors and staff at CHaD bring a special ingredient to their level of care – the ability to make us all feel strong and courageous during those very scary moments when our children and families are exceptionally vulnerable. By participating in the CHaD HERO this year, we honor the overwhelming support and love of the CHaD community.” – Luke, Finn’s dad
Your fundraising efforts help fund critical services that support CHaD patients and families. These many non-billable services not only help CHaD kids when they are in pediatric intensive care or managing chronic illnesses, but are also vital to the general well-being of children and their futures.
The chart (above) illustrates how unrestricted funds raised through CHaD community events, including the CHaD HERO, were allocated in 2019.
Below are a few programs that directly benefit from your fundraising efforts:
- The Child Life Program provides emotional and developmental support to 12,000 kids annually during outpatient procedures, surgeries, difficult visits and extended hospital stays.
- Molly’s Place at the CHaD Family Center is a soothing space with an engaging activity area for children, offering health information and resources, general support and access to financial assistance for families.
- Complex Care Program assists children with two or more chronic conditions that need to be treated by multiple pediatric specialists. Their primary goals are intended to reduce emergency room visits, prevent or shorten hospital stays, and simplify medical care and meet families’ goals and provide satisfaction.
A huge thank you to our participants, volunteers, sponsors and donors for your HEROIC support! Check out our 2019 CHaD HERO Annual Report for details about YOUR IMPACT.
Save the date – the 15th Annual CHaD HERO will take place on October 18th, 2020. Registration opens Tuesday, April 28th – National Superhero Day! To learn more, visit: chadhero.org.